‘Hannibal’ Season 4 Still Alive, Says Bryan Fuller (Video)

“I would love to continue to tell the story with Hugh Dancy and Mads Mikkelsen,” showrunner says a year after NBC cancellation

Last Updated: June 23, 2016 @ 11:16 AM

“Hannibal” is still alive, according to showrunner Bryan Fuller, despite an untimely cancellation by NBC after three low-rated but much-beloved seasons.

“The cast is game, I’m game, it’s just a matter of finding the right time where everybody’s schedules sync up, but I would love to continue to tell the story with [series stars] Hugh Dancy and Mads Mikkelsen,” the showrunner told Collider at Wednesday’s Saturn Awards.

The writer/producer, who is currently showrunner on Starz’s “American Gods” as well as CBS All Access’ upcoming “Star Trek” reboot, even revealed a date when real conversation about bringing back “Hannibal” can begin.

“August 2017 is when we can actually start talking about it,” he said, a date that will mark two years since the end of the series on NBC. “That’s when we would have to see what the rights are for the character and for the story, and see who’s interested and how we get it done. I have the story, and the cast is excited for the story, so we’re ready to go if somebody wants to go.”

“Hannibal’s” third season ended with Mikkelsen’s title character and Dancy’s Will Graham inevitably, finally killing someone together. Rather than immediately regret his actions, the formerly upstanding Will said only, “It’s beautiful.”

It’s a cliffhanger that easily lends itself to more stories, perhaps because filming on Season 3 wrapped before the cast and crew were informed the series had been canceled.

Fuller last revealed in July 2015 that Amazon and Netflix had passed on picking up “Hannibal” for its fourth season, but those involved with the show were still exploring other possibilities.