Harvey Weinstein and his former film company, the Weinstein Company, reached a tentative settlement with more than a dozen of Weinstein’s accusers this week. But as those payments are part of a larger settlement, which must still receive a court approval and a sign-off by all parties, here’s a breakdown of what Weinstein’s accusers are expected to receive.
As first reported by the New York Times on Wednesday, Weinstein’s accusers would receive about $25 million of the total $47 million settlement that is intended to close out TWC’s obligations, according to the Times. Of that $25 million, $6.2 million would be split among 18 of his accusers, with none of those 18 individuals to receive more than $500,000.
The remaining $18.5 million allocated for the accusers would be part of a pool of money for those who are a part of a class-action suit against Weinstein, the New York Attorney General’s civil suit against Weinstein, and any future claimants. To determine how those payments are allocated, a court-appointed monitor will make calculations based on the harm caused to each victim.
More than $12 million of the total $47 million settlement will go toward some legal fees for Weinstein and former members of The Weinstein Company’s board, including his brother and co-founder Bob Weinstein.
None of the $47 million settlement will be paid out by Weinstein personally. Instead, insurance companies representing The Weinstein Company will be shouldering the payment, should it be finalized.
As part of the settlement, according to the Times, Weinstein would also not have to admit to any wrongdoing. Almost every single lawsuit against Weinstein or his company would also be dropped or end.
“It is important to recognize that while there is a great deal of attention focused on the proposed settlement, it is not a final settlement,” Elizabeth Fegan, a lead attorney in the class-action suit against Weinstein told The Wrap in a statement on Wednesday afternoon. “What I can say is that the women who brought this suit forward and persevered against long odds are the heroes of this case, especially considering that the defendant went to every extreme to discredit them.”
Some survivors, however, have expressed their discontent with the tentative settlement’s terms. Kaja Sokola, a former model who had been participating in the class-action suit under a pseudonym, recently came forward with her own lawsuit against Weinstein, accusing the disgraced mogul of sexually assaulting her when she was 16. By coming forward with her suit, Sokola will no longer be participating in the settlement.
“I cannot accept the proposed ‘global settlement’ as fair or just. There is no accountability for the perpetrators, insufficient compensation for all of the victims, and millions of dollars going to people that I believe enabled Weinstein,” Sokola said in a statement.
Weinstein’s criminal trial is scheduled to begin on Jan. 6, 2020. He faces five counts, including for predatory sexual assault, first-degree criminal sexual assault, and first- and third-degree rape. After accusations of ankle bracelet tampering, Weinstein’s bail was increased to $5 million on Wednesday.
For the record: This article has been updated to include information about a new lawsuit filed against Weinstein by Kaja Sokola on Dec. 19.