“When viewers watch live, they’re watching eight times longer than they do VOD on the Facebook platform,” ABC News’ SVP of content and partnerships Colby Smith says
Just about every traditional news outlet is shifting its distribution strategy to include digital: CNN recently launched a channel on Pluto TV, CBS News launched its own OTT service, and Fox News is betting on a subscription VOD service to reach new audiences.
Despite the growing competition, ABC News’ SVP of content and partnerships Colby Smith believes his network operation has a head start on the competition — scoring more than half of all video coverage of last fall’s midterm elections on Facebook, for instance.
Part of that success, Smith told TheWrap, stems from the network’s experimentation with raw footage over traditional news formats and its willingness to try out “completely new creative environments that no news publisher in the history of the world has ever done before.”
By eliminating the need for second screens and leaning on its learnings in live video, Smith said that the year-old livestreaming channel ABC News Live is building a solid foundation for a successful future. He discussed the company’s OTT livestreaming strategy and what his team has learned.
1. Last year, ABC News launched its…
For Only $1/Day Members Access:
- 5 exclusive members-only stories a week
- Digital Video industry analysis and deep-dive features
- Daily WrapPRO newsletter covering the latest digital video industry news
- Access to full length Members-Only Video archive
- Video of notable sessions from TheWrap Events (TheGrill, Power Women Summit)
- VIP seating for TheWrap's Screening Series with stars and filmmakers
- Access to 'chill spots' at select industry events Sundance, TIFF, Newfronts and more
- Access to exclusive invite-only events
- DataBank showcasing key stats and streaming video trends in the OTT market
- In-depth entertainment industry research and whitepapers