Is Darla Shine, the wife of new White House deputy Bill Shine, a racist? That’s the question raised by Mediaite’s discovery of a trove of tweets attributed to Darla Shine that were deleted when her husband joined the Trump Administration.
Among some of the comments Mediaite screen-captured from the @darlashine account were criticisms of Black Lives Matter, an attempt to explain white supremacist Dylann Roof’s motivation for a mass shooting, a retweet of a meme insulting Africa and complaints about who is allowed to use the N-word and who isn’t.
Darla Shine, Bill Shine, and the White House did not immediately respond to requests from TheWrap for comment. Shine, former co-president of Fox News, was named Thursday as White House deputy chief of staff for communications.
Mediaite also noted anti-vaccination tweets and shaming of “whores” such as Monica Lewinski and Stormy Daniels.
Here’s a breakdown of some of the tweets, as reported by Mediaite.
Black Lives Matter
The account frequently commented on crimes committed by African-Americans and called out Black Lives Matter activists, President Obama and others for failing to stop them, as if they were responsible for the actions of every African-American.
- “Where are the black celebrities, sports stars, musicians, why [aren’t] they speaking out tonight against blacks targeting & murdering cops?” @darlashine posted in 2016 after five police officers were killed in Dallas.
- “You really are a terrible President @BarackObama @POTUS allowing our police officers to be gunned down like this,” said a tweet following the same shooting.
- “Comical to see these over paid black sports stars give Black Lives Matter speech at ESPYs,” tweeted the account in 2016.
- “When will Al Sharpton demand [that] young black boys do the right thing?” said another tweet.
- “Imagine the protests if 3 white teens murdered a black woman #AmandaBlackburn Only Black Lives Matter I guess,” said a tweet about the fatal 2015 shooting of Amanda Blackburn in Indianapolis.
Though the account held prominent African-Americans responsible for the actions of all African-Americans, it offered excuses for racist comments and behavior by whites.
- After Trump was widely criticized for referring to African nations as “shithole countries,” @darlashine tweeted a meme with two images, one a golden civilization that read “Rome 2000 years ago” and another of huts in a jungle that read “Africa today.”
- “At FSU u can punch a girl in the face & only get kicked off football team but sing a song with the N word in it & you’re expelled at Oklahoma,” said a 2015 tweet, after members of a fraternity were expelled for chanting “There will never be a N—- in SAE.” It compared them to ex-Florida State quarterback De’Andre Johnson, a black athlete who was dismissed from the team after being caught on video punching a woman in a bar.
- “Yes Lets blame the Confederate Flag instead of Big Pharma and the psychiatric violence inducing Suboxone Dylan [sic] Roof was taking,” said another tweet. Roof killed nine African-Americans at a church in Charleston, South Carolina in 2015.
Mediaite pointed out a dozen times when the account said that the N-word should be removed from music, suggesting African-Americans should not be allowed to use it if white people cannot.
- “Just singing to one of my jams ‘Golddigger’ by Kanye West when I realized If I sing along to the verse ‘Broke N—-‘ I might be a racist,” @darlashine tweeted in July 2015. (The tweet spelled out the N-word.)
- “Al Sharpton demanding kid Rock denounce Rebel Flag yet Sharpton not demanding Rappers remove N word from music.”
- “I have never said the N word out loud and my white children have never either. Blacks stop using the N word!”
- “Funny how critics calling to ban Gone With the Wind, Jefferson Memorial, but no talk of banning the N word or Rap songs with N word in it.”
The account called out “Islamic Insanity” in one tweet and questioned ABC’s firing of Roseanne Barr after her racist tweet directed at Valerie Jarrett.
- “Muslims with bombs but @potus @HillaryClinton @HarryReid trying to blame their Radical TERROR on the @GOP @NRA not Islamic Insanity,” @darlashine tweeted in 2015.
- “Wondering what it was that set off the #ABC execs the #Ape comment or really the #MuslimBrotherhood comment,” said a tweet in May.
Other tweets objected to the concept of cultural appropriation and the existence of affirmative action, and linked black children with an anti-vaccination conspiracy theory.
- “If white chicks can’t perm their hair – black chicks can’t go blonde,” @darlashine tweeted in August 2015 in response to an article on “Cultural Colonization.”
- “The new stand in President at #mizzou is black. Will every white College President have to be replaced,” said a 2015 tweet.
- “1 out of 10 black boys has autism,” said a February 2016 tweet.
Shine is the author of a book called “Happy Housewives” aimed at stay-at-home moms. She also hosted an accompanying radio show.