The new trailer for “Jem and the Holograms” has sparked outrage on social media, as fans of the original animated series think it’s a pure “disappointment” and “nothing like the cartoon.”
Jon M. Chu‘s live action remake of popular 80s’ cartoon “Jem” was released on May 12. Since then, original “Jem” fanatics have ripped it to shreds on Twitter.
“You turned the story of a powerful woman CEO into a tween Hanna Montana knockoff,” one fan tweeted.
That was just the beginning.
“Looks like someone got #PrettyLittleLiars drunk on hard gummy bears then punched it in the face,” another Twitter user posted.
The live-action telling stars “Sharknado” actress Aubrey Peeples as the eponymous Jem, an introvert teen living with her aunt (Molly Ringwald), sister and foster siblings (Stefanie Scott, Hayley Kiyoko, and Aurora Perrineau).
See below for some of the comments on social media.
That “Jem and the Holograms” trailer looks more like “Avril Lavigne and the Kohl’s Discount.”
– Louis Virtel (@louisvirtel) May 13, 2015
It would have been wiser to make Jem a made for disney channel movie. It looks cheap, silly and embarrassing.
– Candice Frederick (@ReelTalker) May 13, 2015
– BlackGirlNerds (@BlackGirlNerds) May 13, 2015
– Jerrica Benton (@nathaliedgc) May 13, 2015
You had one job #JemTheMovie one job! And you failed!
- Quwn (@geekychicrules) May 13, 2015
Dear #JemTheMovie – you turned the story of a powerful woman CEO into a tween Hanna Montana knockoff. I wonder if anyone ever told you no.
- Shoshana Kessock (@ShoshanaKessock) May 13, 2015
- Nico freakin’ Belic (@DontTestTheBest) May 13, 2015
- The Nash Attack (@TheNashAttack) May 13, 2015
- Ariel Smith (@ArielSmithFilm) May 13, 2015
- Gail Sidney (@Gail_Belle) May 13, 2015
In case you haven’t seen the controversial trailer, watch it below. You can also check out the original theme song below.