Jenny Slate is in talks to join Tom Hardy, Michelle Williams and Riz Ahmed in Sony’s “Venom” movie, an individual with knowledge of the project told TheWrap.
Ruben Fleischer is directing the film, based on the script that will be written by Scott Rosenberg (“Jumanji”) and Jeff Pinkner (“The Dark Tower”). Avi Arad and Matt Tolmach are producing with Amy Pascal.
“Venom” is from Sony’s Marvel Universe of characters and will not be a “Spider-Man” spinoff. Venom is one of the most popular superheroes in the Marvel Universe and dates back to the 1980s when Spider-Man briefly adopted a black costume which later turned out to be a living alien being. Photographer Eddie Brock was able to merge with it and become the horrifying, sharp-fanged Venom. Brock was played by
Topher Grace in “Spider-Man 3.” Also Read: Michelle Williams in Talks to Join 'Spider-Man' Villain Movie 'Venom'
Throughout the history of Marvel Comics, “Venom” has appeared alongside “Spider-Man,” “Iron Man,” “Deadpool,” “Hulk” and many other Marvel Comics characters.
Slate most recently did voice work for “The Secret Life of Pets,” “Zootopia,” “The LEGO Batman Movie” and “Despicable Me 3.” She also stars in “Landline” and “The Polka King.”
Also Read: 'Rogue One' Star Riz Ahmed in Early Talks to Join 'Venom' With Tom Hardy
Her next projects include “Hotel Artemis” and “The Secret Life of Pets 2.” She is represented by WME and ID PR.
“Venom” will be released on Oct. 5, 2018.
Sony did not comment on the casting. Variety first reported the news.
Spider-Man Movie Villains Ranked, From Venom to The Vulture (Photos)
"Spider-Man: Homecoming" features some of the best Marvel movie villains in both the Spider-Man and MCU movies to date. Here is TheWrap's rankings from the worst to the best.
12. RhinoPaul Giamatti's overdone silly accent + mech suit take on this classic bad guy is the worst Spider villain in what may be the worst "Spider-Man" film. Thanks, but Rhino thanks.
11. VenomLong before making his third "Spider-Man" film, Sam Raimi was on the record as not liking this character at all. Sony forced him to include Venom (played by Topher Grace) anyway, which might be why it turned out so bad.
10. ElectroJamie Foxx's forgettable portrayal of Max Dillon/Electro in "The Amazing Spider-Man 2" was equal parts terrible cgi, terrible performance, and all cheese.
9. The Lizard"The Amazing Spider-Man"'s Curt Connors/The Lizard was equal parts bad cgi, bad character design, and a bad take on one of Spidey's most iconic enemies. What a waste of Rhys Ifans.
8. SandmanThomas Haden Church was still hot off his "Sideways" career rejuvenation when he played Flint Marko/Sandman in "Spider-Man 3." He's pretty good... too bad the movie isn't.
7. The TinkererMichael Chernus played the first-ever movie version of The Tinkerer, seen in "Spider-Man: Homecoming" as one of the Vulture's inner circle. He's the guy who reverse-engineered alien tech and created the Vulture crew's gadgets.
6. Harry Osbourne/GreenGoblinPerhaps one of the only saving graces from "The Amazing Spider-Man" duology is Dane Dehaan's Harry Osbourne, who had a much better arc than his predecessor.
5. The Shocker"Fargo" star Bokeem Woodbine's grounded portrayal of this "Spider-Man: Homecoming" is an MCU standout.
4. Harry Osbourne (James Franco)James Franco's version of Harry Osborn appears in all three Sam Raimi-directed "Spider-Man" movies. He went from being Spidey's best bud to one of the bad guys.
3. Green GoblinWillem Dafoe gives an great performance as Norman Osbourne/The Green Goblin in the first "Spider-Man," though the character gets an uneven and incomplete arc, keeping it out of the top 2.
2. The VultureMichael Keaton's performance as Adrian Toomes/The Vulture is not only a fun meta-joke about his Oscar-nominated role in "Birdman," it also finally solved the Marvel Cinematic Universe's so-called villain problem.
1. Doctor OctopusAlfred Molina portrayal of Otto Octavius in "Spider-Man 2" remains the gold standard by which all Marvel movie villains are judged by.
If you like this gallery, check out Everything You Need to Know Before Seeing ‘Spider-Man: Homecoming’ (Photos)
(Tap photo and swipe to view gallery)