A lawsuit brought against Jim Carrey over the death of his ex-girlfriend has been dismissed, the actor’s representative told TheWrap on Thursday.
Carrey’s cross-complaint in response to the wrongful death suit has also been dismissed.
The actor’s publicist had no further comment on the dismissal.
Carrey was sued by Cathriona White’s estranged husband Mark Burton and mother Brigid Sweetman. The suit, filed in September 2016, alleged that Carrey illegally obtained “highly addictive and, in this case deadly” drugs under the name Arthur King, then gave them to White, subsequently causing her death in September 2015.
A subsequent amended complaint alleged that Carrey gave White herpes without informing her that he had the disease. When White confronted Carrey about it, the complaint says, the actor “manipulated her, shamed her, exploited her, threatened her, and used his handlers and attorneys to silence her.”
In his own cross-complaint filed in September 2017, Carrey that the lawsuit was just the latest in a number of extortion attempts against him. The actor took aim at Burton, Sweetman, White’s attorney Filippo Marchino and Marchino’s firm The X-Law Group, saying that he’s been targeted by them in an ongoing extortion campaign.
In his cross-complaint, Carrey said that he had previously succumbed to the extortion efforts.
TheWrap has reached out to Burton and Sweetman’s attorney for comment on the dismissal.