On Wednesday Jimmy Kimmel publicly thanked fellow television star Kelly Ripa for some cookies sent by the daytime host — but in the process included a bizarre remark about diabetes.
“Thank you for the cookies @KellyRipa,” he said, adding, “You are sweeter than diabetes #KimmelinBrooklyn”
- Jimmy Kimmel (@jimmykimmel) October 17, 2017
I guess the joke was that the sweetness of her gift and the cookies would be worth the diabetes caused by the sugar intake, or something like that — needless it to say, it wasn’t his A material.
The remark drew instant backlash on Twitter — especially given Kimmel’s recent evolution into America’s foremost late-night healthcare advocate.
The dumbass jokes about diabetes are almost worse than having the disease. Please find another punchline.
Or shut the fuck up. https://t.co/N4kUJdiiNH
- Caira Conner (@CairaConner) October 19, 2017
- Beyond Type 1 (@BeyondType1) October 19, 2017
Diabetes isn’t a joke Jimmy https://t.co/IICmZpOizr
- Kenny (@Ok_HippieChick) October 19, 2017
- Deborah Healy (@DeborahHealy_) October 19, 2017
- Jackie wood (@jackie4wood) October 18, 2017
Explain exactly what is “sweet” about multiple injections every day? Constant finger pricking to check sugars? It is an illness not a joke
- BoppityBoo (@BibbiBoppityBoo) October 17, 2017
A representative for ABC Television did not immediately respond to TheWrap’s request for comment. Kimmel, however, seemed a pinch annoyed at the kerfuffle, pinning this evergreen tweet from Jan. 3 to the top of his feed.
twitter idea for 2017: find real things to be mad about.
– Jimmy Kimmel (@jimmykimmel) January 3, 2017