Joan Rivers’ Endoscopy Clinic Denies Performing Dangerous Throat Biopsy

According to Yorkville Endoscopy’s statement, the clinic never performed a biopsy of the vocal cords

Joan Rivers during 2013 E! "Fashion Police" Shoot. (Brian Bowen Smith/E!)

Just one day after an explosive report surfaced claiming Joan Rivers had underwent an unplanned throat biopsy, the New York clinic has hit back in a statement saying “a biopsy of the vocal cords has never been performed at Yorkville Endoscopy.”

Also read: Joan Rivers’ Air Supply Cut Off From Unexpected Throat Biopsy (Report)

Citing confidentiality rules, Yorkville Endoscopy never mentioned the 81-year-old comedienne by name, but did contest reports which claimed Rivers had been put under general anesthesia while under the clinic’s care.

“General anesthesia has never been administered at Yorkville Endoscopy,” the clinic wrote. “The type of sedation used at Yorkville Endoscopy is monitored anesthesia care. Our anesthesiologists utilize light to moderate sedation.”

The statement contradicts Tuesday’s NYDN report, which said Rivers underwent an unplanned throat biopsy at the facility that caused a laryngospasm, an involuntary muscle contraction of the vocal cords. The paper says the procedure was performed by a doctor who was part the entourage she brought with her. The medical source told the paper Rivers may have survived if the procedure had instead been done in a hospital. The source further alleges that Rivers had only signed off on an endoscopy.

Rivers’ representatives and daughter Melissa Rivers have not responded to TheWrap‘s request for a comment.

Also read: Joan Rivers’ Fans Convince Broadway to Reverse Decision, Dim Lights in Her Honor

Last week, the New York Medical Examiner’s Office told TheWrap that the completed autopsy of Rivers’ body did not yield a firm cause or manner of death, and that further studies would be conducted to determine how she died. Reports were that she stopped breathing while undergoing the throat surgery on Aug. 28.

Rivers was immediately rushed to a nearby hospital, but the legendary entertainer did not recover. She was put in a medically-induced coma and on life support. She died Sept. 4.