“Just because there is technology to ‘make a linear channel’ does not mean that a multi-tool, or one-size fits all solution is going to offer the best-in-class option for ad sales,” Next OTT founder George Rausch says
To launch a 24/7 digital channel or not to launch a 24/7 digital channel, that is the question. In a world where online video consumption is exploding and cable subscribers are dwindling, content creators are exploring old methods — linear channels — in new environments such as OTT.
And with today’s technology, a company doesn’t need to be Comcast to launch a channel. However, companies that go down that path should be prepared for a unique set of obstacles: bandwidth costs, producing enough content to fill a 24/7 block and monetization can become a big headache.
To help provide some clarity on the subject, we reached out to industry veteran George Rausch for some tips on the subject. Rausch has over a decade of experience in the OTT business, working at Pluto TV as its founding director of content before moving to Frequency Studio, which runs a suite of cloud services for content management and distribution. Rausch now operates Next OTT, a Playa Vista-based over-the-top content programming and distribution strategy consulting firm.
Here are some of the most important…
For Only $1/Day Members Access:
- 5 exclusive members-only stories a week
- Digital Video industry analysis and deep-dive features
- Daily WrapPRO newsletter covering the latest digital video industry news
- Access to full length Members-Only Video archive
- Video of notable sessions from TheWrap Events (TheGrill, Power Women Summit)
- VIP seating for TheWrap's Screening Series with stars and filmmakers
- Access to 'chill spots' at select industry events Sundance, TIFF, Newfronts and more
- Access to exclusive invite-only events
- DataBank showcasing key stats and streaming video trends in the OTT market
- In-depth entertainment industry research and whitepapers