Lil Wayne Shooting Call Was a Hoax, Police Say

Caller claimed that four people might have been injured in bogus call — a prosecutable offense known as “swatting”

Last Updated: March 11, 2015 @ 12:36 PM

A Wednesday call to the Miami Beach home of rapper Lil Wayne claiming that a shooting occurred at the residence has been deemed a hoax by police, after a SWAT team combed the eight-bedroom, 10-bath house and found no evidence of a shooting.

Police arrived at the Miami Beach home of rapper Lil Wayne on Wednesday, after they received a phone call reporting that shots had been fired at the home, Florida station WSVN reports.

According to the station, the call came from someone who was not at the scene, but said that four people may be injured.

A public information officer for the police department says that there is currently no indication of any shooting, and no victim has been found at this point. The person who placed the call claimed to be the shooter and asked for assistance, the police spokesman said.

Carter‘s record label, Young Money Entertainment, tweeted on Wednesday that the rapper wasn’t in the residence. “Wayne is okay. Wasn’t home during alleged events,” the tweet read.

The Miami Beach police department acknowledged that the call could be a possible case of “swatting” — tricking an emergency service into responding to a bogus call — on Twitter, but added that the department “does not take chances” in these situations.

In late February, police were called to the home of the rapper (born Dwayne Michael Carter, Jr.) after a caller reported that there was a mysterious person in the neighborhood, TMZ reports. No arrests were made, however.

Keep
Reading...

Looks like you’re enjoying reading
Keep reading by creating
a free account or logging in.