Media expressed surprise and cracked wise at Monday's news that Amazon.com's Jeff Bezos purchased the Washington Post for $250 million in cash.
The Post said it fielded six suitors for control of the influential paper owned by the Graham family since 1933. Bezos also acquired Greater Washington Publishing, the Gazette newspapers, Express, El Tiempo Latino and Robinson Terminal under the deal.
Also read: Amazon's Jeff Bezos Buys Washington Post for $250 Million in Cash
Here is a sampling of initial media reactions on Twitter:
Initial staff reaction: Ungghkh.
– Gene Weingarten (@geneweingarten) August 5, 2013
Well, this is unexpected
– Ezra Klein (@ezraklein) August 5, 2013
Last time I was this stunned was when I woke up as an AOL employee to find out that AOL had bought Time Warner. I am more stunned today.
– Jim Brady (@jimbradysp) August 5, 2013
Is someone going to buy @Slate now? (Are you all selling? If so, gimme a call!)
– Henry Blodget (@hblodget) August 5, 2013
Was this hatched at #SunValley13..Allen & Co negotiated sale..Bezos, WashPo execs, board member Diller were there..http://t.co/U04bOMAT3c
– Peter Lauria (@peterlauria3) August 5, 2013
Hmm…Would you bet on Bezos or Allbritton or Mark Thompson?
– Frank Rich (@frankrichny) August 5, 2013
Really mixed emotions about the sale of WaPo, my former employer, to Amazon founder Jeff Bezos. http://t.co/y9uKXvOyEs h/t @dmataconis
– Jason Del Rey (@DelRey) August 5, 2013
The Washington Post has been sold for 250 million Newsweeks
– Andrew Katz (@katz) August 5, 2013
Bigger moonshot? Saving newspaper industry or putting tourists in space? (Jeff Bezos also owns the aerospace company, Blue Origin)
– Ben Bergman (@thebenbergman) August 5, 2013