Soon-to-be former Fox News star Megyn Kelly took to Facebook to explain her decision to jump to NBC News on Tuesday — expressing her gratitude to the cable news network without mentioning former Fox News boss Roger Ailes by name.
“Over a dozen years ago I started at Fox News in a job that would change my life. Now, I have decided to end my time at FNC, incredibly enriched for the experiences I’ve had,” Kelly wrote. “I have agreed to join NBC News, where I will be launching a new daytime show Monday through Friday, along with a Sunday evening news magazine program, I will also participate in NBC’s breaking news coverage and its political and special events coverage.”
She continued: “While I will greatly miss my colleagues at Fox, I am delighted to be joining the NBC News family and taking on a new challenge. I remain deeply grateful to Fox News, to Rupert, Lachlan and James Murdoch, and especially to all of the FNC viewers, who have taught me so much about what really matters. More to come soon.”
NBCUniversal News Group chairman Andrew Lack announced earlier Tuesday that Kelly would join NBC News later this year. Details about both of Kelly’s news programs will be unveiled in the coming months, according to NBC.
Kelly has been a Fox News star for several years, but emerged as a household name when she feuded with President-elect Donald Trump during the 2015-16 GOP primary. It was a one-sided dispute, as Trump attacked Kelly on Twitter because he did not like a question she asked regarding his treatment of women during a Republican primary debate on Fox News. Kelly did not publicly fight back, but Ailes defended her throughout the ordeal.
Trump eventually skipped a debate over the matter, but the two later made up and Kelly interviewed Trump for a special on Fox broadcast. Meanwhile, Ailes has since stepped down in disgrace after numerous women, including Kelly, have come forward with accusations of sexual assault.
Meanwhile, Annapurna Pictures acquired a pitch about the alleged sexual misconduct perpetrated by Ailes and has put the movie on the fast track, TheWrap reported last month.
The film will focus on Kelly and other women at Fox News who accused the bombastic chairman of numerous incidents of sexual misconduct and assault. Former Fox News anchor Gretchen Carlson filed a sexual harassment lawsuit against Ailes in July, opening the floodgates for others to come out with allegations of their own. Kelly told Fox executives that she, too, had been subject to sexual harassment from Ailes and, two days after, the face of Fox News resigned from the company.
In her book “Settle for More” — released just after the election — Kelly went into more detail about the harassment she said Ailes perpetrated, including allegations of inappropriate touching, grabbing and attempts to kiss her.