Industry execs weigh in on whether Disney has the power to dethrone the streaming giant
With the Mouse House backing it, Disney+ can clearly compete in the streaming arena (its ESPN+ service has already topped 1 million subs in less than six months). But will the new Disney-branded OTT platform be a Netflix killer?
"I don't think they're not going to have success," said one industry source who asked not to be named for this article. "I just don't think it's going to be as quick."
Despite its robust library of content that includes projects from Lucasfilm, Pixar, and Marvel, and its massive reach that spans from the U.S. to Tokyo, many leaders in the industry don't expect the service to take the throne as the King of streaming any tim...
Oops! This is a Members Only post! Become a member to access!
Join WrapPRO for Exclusive Content, Full Video Access, Premium Events, and More!
For Only $1/Day Members Access:
- 5 exclusive members-only stories a week
- Digital Video industry analysis and deep-dive features
- Daily WrapPRO newsletter covering the latest digital video industry news
- VIP seating for TheWrap’s Screening Series with stars and filmmakers
- Access to “chill spots” at select industry events Sundance, TIFF, Newfronts and more
- Access to exclusive invite-only events (TheGrill)
- DataBank showcasing key stats and streaming video trends in the OTT market
- In-depth entertainment industry research and whitepapers