Netflix’s bet on local content could drive its first quarter with 10 million new streamers
Subscriber growth, more than anything else, is the name of the game for Netflix.
The company has struck a silent pact with analysts and investors, who overlook the streaming giant's aggressive spending on new content -- $13 billion in 2018 alone -- as long as it continues to rack up paying viewers by the millions each quarter. That pact is about to be tested; heading into the release of its fourth quarter earnings on Thursday, Wall Street is anticipating the company to add a record number of quarterly subscribers.
Piper Jaffray analyst Mike Olson, in a client note shared with TheWrap, is projecting Netflix will break the 10 million new quarterly subscribers threshold for the first time during Q4, hitting 10.87 million new subs overall...
Oops! This is a Members Only post! Become a member to access!
Join WrapPRO for Exclusive Content, Full Video Access, Premium Events, and More!
For Only $1/Day Members Access:
- 5 exclusive members-only stories a week
- Digital Video industry analysis and deep-dive features
- Daily WrapPRO newsletter covering the latest digital video industry news
- VIP seating for TheWrap’s Screening Series with stars and filmmakers
- Access to “chill spots” at select industry events Sundance, TIFF, Newfronts and more
- Access to exclusive invite-only events (TheGrill)
- DataBank showcasing key stats and streaming video trends in the OTT market
- In-depth entertainment industry research and whitepapers