CollegeHumor, Tegna and Refinery29 widen focus to include podcasts as advertisers drive money into the medium
Podcasts, reminiscent of a time when radio was king, have become a new area of focus for video publishers looking to reach audiences in new places. Refinery29, CollegeHumor and Tegna have decided to test their luck with the format in recent months, investing an increasing amount of resources into experimenting with their own audio-focused content.
Publishers are chasing a younger audience that has climbed in recent years, as millennials in particular flock to everything from true-crime hits like “Serial” to comedian Joe Rogan’s interview shows. A 2019 study from Edison Media/Triton Digital estimates that 51 percent of the population now listen to podcasts — up from 46 percent at the start of 2018.
Advertisers are als...
Oops! This is a Members Only post! Become a member to access!
Join WrapPRO for Exclusive Content, Full Video Access, Premium Events, and More!
For Only $1/Day Members Access:
- 5 exclusive members-only stories a week
- Digital Video industry analysis and deep-dive features
- Daily WrapPRO newsletter covering the latest digital video industry news
- VIP seating for TheWrap’s Screening Series with stars and filmmakers
- Access to “chill spots” at select industry events Sundance, TIFF, Newfronts and more
- Access to exclusive invite-only events (TheGrill)
- DataBank showcasing key stats and streaming video trends in the OTT market
- In-depth entertainment industry research and whitepapers