Michael Avenatti will not be charged by the Los Angeles City Attorney “at this time” in an incident of domestic violence last year.
In a statement, the City Attorney’s Office said Friday that it has declined to file charges, but has left open the option to do so at a later date, should anything change.
“The City Attorney’s Office has reviewed all of the reports in this matter and considered all of the evidence,” a rep said in a statement. “This matter has been set for City Attorney Hearings in which both the victim and the suspect will have an opportunity to be heard on different days. The victim will be advised of services available to her. The suspect will be informed that although we decline to file charges at this time, this matter remains open and we may file charges at any time prior to the expiration of the statute of limitations.”
Avenatti responded to the ruling on Twitter, writing: “I am extremely thankful that after three thorough investigations, one by the LAPD, one by the LA District Attorney, and one by the LA City Attorney, the truth of my innocence is now established and no charges are being brought.”
He went on in a subsequent tweet: “Every purported victim should have her or his claims investigated. Here, that is exactly what happened. I wish to thank the LAPD, LADA, and LACA for their professionalism during this difficult process. I will continue to speak truth to power and seek justice for my clients.”
Avenatti has been accused by actress Mareli Miniutti, who was granted a temporary restraining order against Avenatti in November. According to a declaration from Miniuitti, Avenatti, who had a “dating relationship” with the actress from October 2017 until Nov. 13, 2018, grabbed and dragged Miniutti after the couple argued about money on Nov. 13.
The case was passed on to the Los Angeles City Attorney’s office “for misdemeanor filing consideration” after the District Attorney declined to prosecute.
Avenatti has maintained his innocence, calling them “completely bogus.”