Michelle Williams has responded to the combined $2 million donation from her “All the Money in the World” co-star Mark Wahlberg and his agency William Morris Endeavor to #Time’sUp, the legal defense fund founded in response to the #MeToo movement.
“Today isn’t about me,” Williams said in statement Saturday night. “My fellow actresses stood by me and stood up for me, my activist friends taught me to use my voice, and the most powerful men in charge, they listened and they acted. If we truly envision an equal world, it takes equal effort and sacrifice. Today is one of the most indelible days of my life because of Mark Wahlberg, WME and a community of women and men who share in this accomplishment.”
She also called out Anthony Rapp, the actor whose accusations against Kevin Spacey led to his removal from “All the Money in the World” and necessitated significant reshoots to replace Spacey with Christopher Plummer.
“Anthony Rapp, for all the shoulders you stood on, now we stand on yours,” she wrote.
USA Today first reported last week that Wahlberg received $1.5 million to take part in reshoots, while Williams received only a per diem of $80 a day. Although her contract required her to do reshoots, Wahlberg’s didn’t.
But Saturday morning, Wahlberg and WME released a joint statement saying they would make the donation in Williams’ name.
“Over the last few days my reshoot fee for ‘All the Money in the World’ has become an important topic of conversation,” Wahlberg said in a statement. “I 100% support the fight for fair pay and I’m donating the $1.5M to the Time’s Up Legal Defense Fund in Michelle Williams’ name.”
WME, in turn, donated $500,000.