Obama Says He Is ‘Disgusted’ by Harvey Weinstein Allegations

“Any man who demeans and degrades women in such fashion needs to be condemned and held accountable, regardless of wealth or status,” Barack and Michelle Obama say in a joint statement

Last Updated: October 10, 2017 @ 4:54 PM

Barack and Michelle Obama are breaking their silence about the allegations of sexual harassment and sexual misconduct by Harvey Weinstein, saying in a joint statement that they are “disgusted.”

“Michelle and I have been disgusted by the recent reports about Harvey Weinstein. Any man who demeans and degrades women in such fashion needs to be condemned and held accountable, regardless of wealth or status,” the Obamas said the statement released Tuesday afternoon.

“We should celebrate the courage of women who have come forward to tell these painful stories,” the former first couple continued. “And we all need to build a culture — including by empowering our girls and teaching our boys decency and respect — so we can make such behavior less prevalent in the future.”

Weinstein is a major Democratic donor and gave thousands of dollars to Obama’s 2012 presidential campaign.

See the full statement below.

The Obama’s daughter, Malia Obama, interned at the Weinstein Company last year during a gap year before starting college at Harvard University.