Paramount Halts Pre-Production on ‘World War Z’ Sequel Due to Budget Issues

Development on the project will likely continue, an insider with knowledge of the project says

Paramount has halted pre-production on the sequel to Brad Pitt’s 2013 zombie apocalypse movie “World War Z.”

Development on the project will likely continue, says an insider with knowledge of the project.

First reported by The Playlist, the sequel was eyeing a lengthy shoot in five different countries and a six-month shoot in Atlanta, and the plug was pulled due to budgetary concerns. David Fincher was going to direct the sequel with Pitt toplining. According to the Hollywood Reporter, Paramount and producers at Pitt’s Plan B shingle began making calls to the crew on Wednesday morning. Had the sequel gone forward, it would be the fourth time the director and producer/star have worked together, having previously joined forces on “Se7en,” “Fight Club” and “The Curious Case of Benjamin Button.” Fincher is currently editing the second season of “Mindhunter” for Netflix

“World War Z,” an adaptation of the Max Brooks novel, went on to earn $540 million worldwide at the box office despite having a rocky production and expensive reshoots.

Initially, director J.A. Bayona was attached to direct the “World War Z” sequel, however, the Spanish director left the project to direct “Jurassic World 2” for Universal and executive producers Steven Spielberg and Colin Trevorrow.