Despite the runaway success of “Wonder Woman” and the confirmation in July that the sequel is due in theaters December 13, 2019, the director behind that success hasn’t yet been announced to return. That will soon change, as Patty Jenkins is in final talks to direct “Wonder Woman 2,” TheWrap has learned.
The specific terms of her return to the franchise she led to a $797.8 million worldwide box office haul are not known. But it is said to be large whatever the final numbers end up being, on par with other directors who have delivered the kind of success Jenkins brought to Warner Bros.
Wonder Woman was extremely well received by audiences and critics and is considered a righting-of-the-ship for the DC Extended Universe after the mixed receptions the previous entires “Batman V Superman” and “Suicide Squad” received. Though both films saw very successful box office, they were criticized for excessively grim tone (in the case of BvS) and an incoherent plot (in the case of Suicide Squad). In fact, reaction to Batman v. Superman so affected Warner Bros. that it initiated a reorganization of the DC films division in May, 2016.
“Wonder Woman” is the first film produced largely after that reorganization was completed, and DC Entertainment president Geoff Johns later told TheWrap that the film is serving as something of a tonal re-direction for DC films overall.
Jenkins is repped by CAA, Anonymous Content, and attorney Alan Wertheimer at Jackoway Tyerman Wertheimer Austen Mandelbaum Morris & Klein.
Deadline first reported on the negotiations between Jenkins and WB.
8 Villains 'Wonder Woman' Could Face in The Sequel (Photos)
With the success of "Wonder Woman," Warner Bros. wants to get you a sequel as soon as possible -- and every great story needs a villain. Here's who Diana might face in "Wonder Woman 2."
1. Medusa In one of the most popular storylines from the "Wonder Woman" comics, Diana faced off against the Gorgon Medusa in a battle to the death inside Yankee Stadium. Of course it was broadcast worldwide.
2. Cheetah British archaeologist Barbra Minerva, aka Cheetah, is another of Wonder Woman's most popular foes in the comics. Her comic look probably won't work for a sequel, so a cinematic upgrade would be needed.
3. Deimos Deimos is the God of Terror and also the son of Ares, the God of War from the first film. Deimos could look to avenge Ares in the sequel.
4. Circe The evil sorceress was almost the villain in the first film, but didn't make the final cut. In the comics, she has teamed up with DC bad guys like Lex Luthor.
5. Giganta One of Wonder Woman's more classic foes is a brilliant scientist, Dr. Doris Zeul, who managed to hijack the body of a circus performer with the power to increase her size.
6. Genocide Wonder Woman's version of Superman-killer Doomsday, Genocide defeated Wonder Woman in their first ever battle -- and even stole the lasso of truth.
7. Maxwell Lord Both cunning and ruthless, Max Lord is Wonder Woman's version of Lex Luthor. Lord was so villainous, Wonder Woman snapped his neck in the comics.
8. Doctor Psycho The misogynistic Doctor Psycho seeks to dominate women with his mind- control powers. He once targeted Steve Trevor in order to mess with Wonder Woman's emotions.