Female Shooter Dead, at Least 3 Injured in YouTube Shooting

Woman appears to have died of self-inflicted gunshot wound

Last Updated: April 3, 2018 @ 9:07 PM

A female suspect was found dead of an apparent self-inflicted gunshot wound and at least three other people were injured in a mass shooting at YouTube headquarters, police said.

San Bruno Police Chief Ed Barberini said Tuesday that police found one victim with apparent gunshot wounds and a “second individual with a gunshot wound that appears to may have been self-inflicted.”

On Tuesday night, CNN identified the suspect as Nasim Aghdam.

Three patients were being treated at Zuckerberg San Francisco General Hospital, a spokesman told CNN: a 32-year-old woman in serious condition, a 27-year-old woman in fair condition, and a 36-year-old man in critical condition.

If the woman was responsible for the shooting, she would be an extreme anomaly: Almost all mass shootings are carried out by men.

After the shooting early Tuesday afternoon, dozens of police cars were parked outside the complex, where officers searched employees as they left.

CNN captured video of police patting down people in a parking lot, including a man in a wheelchair. One employee tweeted seeing drops of blood before he escaped to safety. The network said the activity seemed to center around an outdoor eating area where employees reported hearing shots.

San Bruno Police first tweeted that people should stay out of the area, and later added: “We are responding to an active shooter. Please stay away from Cherry Ave & Bay Hill Drive.”

YouTube employee Vadim Lavrusik, tweeted: “Active shooter at YouTube HQ. Heard shots and saw people running while at my desk. Now barricaded inside a room with coworkers.” He later added: “Safe. Got evacuated… outside now.”

Another YouTube employee, Todd Sherman, tweeted: “I’m safe. We were sitting in a meeting and then we heard people running because it was rumbling the floor. First thought was earthquake. After existing the room we still didn’t know what was going on but more people were running. Seemed serious and not like a drill. We headed towards the exit and then saw more people and someone said that there was a person with a gun. S—.”

“At that point every new person I saw was a potential shooter. Someone else said that the person shot out the back doors and then shot themselves. I looked down and saw blood drips on the floor and stairs. Peaked around for threats and then we headed downstairs and out the front. Police cruisers pull up, hopped out with rifles ready and I told them where the situation was as I headed down the street to meet up with a couple team members. In an Uber omw home. Hope everyone is safe.”

Google, which owns YouTube, tweeted: “Re: YouTube situation, we are coordinating with authorities and will provide official information here from Google and YouTube as it becomes available.” The tech company also told employees that work off the YouTube campus to stay away, and that employees have been provided with a helpline.

President Trump said Tuesday afternoon that he had been briefed on the situation, saying “our thoughts and prayers are with everybody involved.” He thanked the first responders as well.