Music legend Prince, who passed away in Minnesota on April 21 at age 57, died of an opioid overdose, TheWrap has learned.
The Midwest Medical Examiner’s office released Prince’s autopsy results on Thursday, which stated the rocker died from an overdose of “self-adminstered fentanyl.” This confirms suspicions that Prince abused painkillers that were prescribed to him after a hip surgery.
The week before his death, Prince’s plane reportedly made an emergency landing at Quad City International Airport in Moline, Illinois, as the singer was en route home from a concert in Atlanta. Prince, who was rushed to a nearby hospital, was reportedly treated for an overdose of the opioid painkiller Percocet and released after three hours, according to TMZ.
Prince was found unresponsive in the elevator at his Paisley Park estate on the morning of April 21. Responders were unable to revive him.
Following his death, reports surfaced that Prince staffers had reached out to California-based addiction specialist Dr. Howard Kornfeld, who was due to arrive in Minneapolis on April 22. On April 21, Kornfeld’s son, Andrew, arrived at Paisley Park to explain the impending treatment to Prince and was present when the singer’s body was found.
Subsequent reports noted that painkillers were found in Prince’s possession on the day of his death, as well as at the estate.
According to legal papers filed by his sister Tyka Nelson, the musician died without a will. However, that assertion has been called into question by author and filmmaker Ian Halperin, who’s currently collaborating on a documentary about the musician’s final hours. Halperin told TheWrap that the people he has spoken to insist Prince left a will, which, it has been speculated, may be in Canada, as the musician once had a residence in Toronto.
The singer, who’s full name was Prince Rogers Nelson, was known for hits including “Pur