Prince’s family is still hashing out plans for an official memorial service for the singer, who died April 21 at age 57.
In a statement issued Friday, the
“We would like everyone to know that, contrary to previous and current reports, there has been no memorial, funeral or tribute service for Prince that was organized or authorized by the family or Paisley Park representatives,” the family said.
However, the family said, details of a service are “coming soon.”
“Together, the family is planning an official memorial service and public event to take place in the near future. Prince and his music influenced so many people that we feel inspired to celebrate his life and legacy in just the right way,” the family said. “We appreciate the public’s patience and have been comforted by your outpouring of love, support and condolences. We look forward to sharing with the world this celebration of, and farewell to, our Prince. Details will be coming soon.”
The singer’s body was found on the elevator of his Paisley Park home in Minnesota, days after he was reportedly treated for an overdose of the opioid painkiller Percocet. According to reports, the singer possessed painkillers at the time of his death.
Earlier this week, it was reported that Prince staffers had enlisted the help of Mill Valley, California addiction specialist Dr. Howard Kornfeld the day before the singer’s death. Kornfeld was scheduled to arrive in Minnesota on April 22.
His son, Andrew Kornfeld, arrived at Paisley Park to explain the treatment to the singer on April 21, and was on hand at Paisley Park when the singer was found unresponsive.
Pamela Chelin contributed to this report.