SAG-AFTRA and the producers of television and radio commercials have reached a tentative agreement on a new master contract.
The two sides announced the deal on Sunday but did not disclose details. The contract is subject to approval by the SAG-AFTRA national board and a ratification vote by the 160,000 members of the actors union.
The joint announcement between SAG-AFTRA and the Joint Policy Committee on Broadcast Talent Relations, the body representing the advertising industry, said a deal had been reached at 3 a.m. Sunday in New York City after seven weeks of negotiations. The contract covers about $1 billion in annual wages for performers.
Gabrielle Carteris, SAG-AFTRA’s acting president since the recent death of the union’s two-term president Ken Howard, and negotiating committee co-chair, thanked her committee, co-chair Sue-Anne Morrow, chief negotiator David White and his staff.
“This negotiation dealt with where we are now and where we will be in the future. The tentative agreement delivers essential gains while properly positioning us for future growth in digital and social media. As content evolves, we are poised to grow work opportunities that support members and their families,” she said.
The advertisers’ lead negotiator, Douglas J. Wood, thanks his team as well, and also called attention to their leader, who also recently died.
“I’d also like to acknowledge the memory of Kathleen Quinn of the 4A’s. Kathleen tragically passed away during the negotiations. Kathleen was a pillar on our team for more than 20 years. She will be missed by everyone,” he said.
He said the union and advertisers’ respect for each other made it easier to reach a deal.
“The success of this negotiation reflects the sense of partnership the JPC and SAG-AFTRA have built over the past 15 years. Despite very complex issues that initially had significant differences for both sides of the table, through open and honest collaboration we reached a balanced and fair agreement for all parties.”