‘Scarface’ Director Brian De Palma: I’m Writing a Horror Movie Inspired by Weinstein Scandal

Filmmaker says he is currently speaking with a French producer to get the ball rolling on the project

Last Updated: June 2, 2018 @ 3:26 PM

“Scarface” director Brian De Palma says he is writing a horror film inspired by the Harvey Weinstein scandal.

Speaking to French newspaper Le Parisien, the filmmaker said he is “writing a film about this scandal, which I am currently discussing with a French producer. My character will not be called Harvey Weinstein. But it will be a horror movie, with a sexual aggressor, and it will happen in the film industry.”

In another interview with the AFP news agency, De Palma, whose credits also include “Dressed to Kill,” “Carrie” and “Mission: Impossible,” said he had been following the Weinstein story “very closely.”

“I know a lot of the people involved,” he said. “I’ve heard stories over the years.”

Weinstein was indicted earlier this week on charges of rape in the first and third degrees, as well as on charges of criminal sexual act in the first degree. He was arrested on May 25 in New York City on three felony charges of rape and criminal sex act stemming from a monthslong investigation by the NYPD into accusations by multiple women.

Though the Hollywood mogul has been accused of misconduct by more than 80 women, the criminal charges by New York prosecutors stem from the accusations of two women. The first-degree criminal sex act charge comes from a case involving aspiring actress Lucia Evans in 2004.

The two rape charges stem from an unidentified accuser who accused Weinstein of keeping her against her will in a room at the DoubleTree Metropolitan hotel in midtown Manhattan in 2013.

A representative for De Palma has not yet responded to TheWrap’s request for comment.