Sean Hannity hasn’t given up on the angle that Democratic National Committee staffer Seth Rich was murdered to stop him from leaking DNC information. On Monday, he tweeted about the Rich story, “My investigation continues.”
The Fox News host said in May on his show he would stop “discussing” the July 2016 murder. That was after he received criticism for promoting the conspiracy theory claiming Rich provided internal DNC emails to WikiLeaks, and that Rich might have been killed for the leak.
Rich’s parents had repeatedly asked Hannity to stop reporting the conspiracy theory, and advertisers began to leave the host’s show “Hannity” in response.
But Hannity said on Twitter he’s still pursuing the Rich story, even if he isn’t talking about it. He also said he personally “retracted nothing,” even though Fox News retract the WikiLeaks.
I retracted NOTHING. I Rightly GAVE RESPECT to a grieving family that asked for it and was thanked by them. My investigation continues. https://t.co/e5w3Szvma2
— Sean Hannity (@seanhannity) June 27, 2017
Rich was shot in last summer in Washington D.C. in what police have ruled a botched robbery.
Fox News reported the story that Rich might have leaked emails to WikiLeaks, but retracted the story in May. “On May 16, a story was posted on the Fox News website on the investigation into the 2016 murder of DNC Staffer Seth Rich. The article was not initially subjected to the high degree of editorial scrutiny we require for all our reporting,” the network said in a statement following the retraction. “Upon appropriate review, the article was found not to meet those standards and has since been removed. We will continue to investigate this story and will provide updates as warranted.”
Hannity also brought up Rich last week on his radio show, suggesting that staffers had leaked emails to WikiLeaks showing the DNC had tried to undermine Bernie Sanders’ presidential campaign. Hannity suggested Rich could have been among them.
“Now I don’t know anything about Seth Rich in this sense. I don’t have any information about why he was murdered except that it was suspicious,” Hannity said. “And suspicious meaning it wasn’t a robbery as they’ve claimed but otherwise why would you not steal his wallet, his phone, his necklace, his jewelry and watch and everything else.”
So it appears Hannity doesn’t plan to give up on the Rich story. Whether previous pressure from advertisers means still won’t discuss the story on “Hannity,” his most visible platform, remains to be seen.