Solange, Van Jones and the Women’s March are among the top winners for the 21st Annual Webby Awards.
This year’s winners, announced Tuesday, were selected by a panel that included Black Lives Matter co-founder Opal Tometi, Reddit co-founder Alexis Ohanian, Jimmy Kimmel, Questlove and “Making a Murderer” directors Laura Ricciardi and Moira Demos.
Joel McHale will host the awards ceremony from New York, where Solange will receive a Special Achievement Award for her work with Saint Heron, an online store that allows artists to collaborate and promote their work. The show will be available on-demand on May 16.
Other award winners included Planned Parenthood for Best Charitable Organization, The Women’s March for Social Movement of the Year and Steve Buscemi for his work on the web series “Horace and Pete.” Internet Archive will receive the Lifetime Achievement award for its work on archiving billions of web pages and making them available through online tools like Wayback Machine.
Highlights of the winners are listed below, and a complete list can be found at the Webby Awards site.
· Planned Parenthood won the Webby Award and the Webby People’s Voice Award for Best Charitable Organization/Non-profit Website
· Sandy Hook Promise – Evan won two Webby Awards and two Webby People’s Voice Awards for Best Viral Marketing (Advertising, Media & PR) and Best Short Form Branded Content (Film & Video)
· CNN won the Webby Award for CNN Election Night 2016 for Best Event in the Social category
· The New Yorker won two Webby Awards and two People’s Voice Awards for Best Magazine Website and Best Writing (Editorial)
· Van Jones’ The Messy Truth won the Webby Award for Best News & Politics Series (Film & Video)
· Squarespace won the Webby Award and the Webby People’s Voice Award for Best Web Service & Application (Websites)
· FactCheck.org won the Webby Award and the Webby People’s Voice Award for Best Political Blog/Websites (Websites)
· Teen Vogue won its first two Webby Awards in Social Video for Ask a Muslim Girl and Film & Video for Body Party Starring Barbie Ferreira
· Merriam-Webster Redefines Twitter won the Webby Award for Best Writing (Social) and the Webby Award and Webby People’s Voice Award for Best Education & Discovery (Social)
· Game Changer featuring Stephen Curry won the Webby Award for Best Use of Online Media (Advertising, Media & PR)
· GIPHY won three Webby Awards for Messaging (Mobile Sites & Aps), Best Comedy – Branded (Film & Video), and NetArt (Websites)
· The Infatuation won the Webby Award for Best Food & Drink App (Mobile Sites & Apps)
· NYT Cooking won the Webby Award for Best Food & Drink Website (Websites)
· Airbnb won the Webby Award for Best Travel App for its New Airbnb App (Mobile Sites & Apps)
· The Metropolitan Museum of Art won the Webby Award and the Webby People’s Voice Award in Social Video for The Met 360 Project (Social)