Starz Boss: Still Looking at ‘White Queen’ Sequel Without BBC, Explains ‘Magic City’ Cancelation

TCA 2014: Chris Albrecht also explained why “Black Sails” was renewed ahead of airing

Last Updated: July 10, 2014 @ 7:25 PM

In a surprise mini executive session at the Television Critics Association press tour Friday, Starz CEO Chris Albrecht discussed the early renewal of “Black Sails,” the status of a “White Queen” sequel and why it decided to cancel “Magic City.”

Previously, Albrecht had said the network was moving on with a sequel to its miniseries “White Queen.” He said they’re still considering the sequel, but without BBC as a co-producer. Philippa Gregory’s latest novel, “The White Princess,” is in consideration.

See photos: 2014 TV Preview: 26 Upcoming Shows to Watch This Winter & Spring 

“We’re working on looking at story, and no BBC won’t be a part of it,” he said. “We’re looking at the show from a creative point of view. We’re certainly interested in the sequel to ‘White Queen. It did very well for us.”

Also read: Starz Abandons Plans for Murder Drama ‘Fortitude’

In regard to renewing “Black Sails,” the CEO said that the decision was made on the strength of the reviews and audience reactions after San Diego Comic Con.

“Some said that pirates are the new zombies,” he joked.

In respect to canceling “Magic City,” Albrecht said there were several considerations involved in the decision.

Also read: Starz Adds ‘Amadeus’ Actor Simon Callow to ‘Outlander’ Cast

“‘Magic City’ was a fine show, an expensive show. Our distributors didn’t want to co-market it with us,” he said. “The audience was nominal for us.”

But, Albrecht said he was comfortable with where the series concluded.

KEEP READING..

The news
you need now,
more than ever.

Create a FREE Account
Try PRO today
FOR FREE