‘Supergirl,’ CW Stars Call for Hollywood Change After Showrunner Suspended: ‘You Are Weak and Complicit’

Melissa Benoist, more speak out following sexual harassment accusations against Andrew Kreisberg

“Supergirl” star Melissa Benoist, along with other CW stars, are calling for change in Hollywood in the wake of growing accusations of sexual harassment and assault against Hollywood heavyweights, including Benoist’s own series showrunner Andrew Kreisberg.

“Sadly, the show and my career are a part of an industry that doesn’t always mirror these sentiments,” Benoist said in a Twitter post on Sunday night. “This is heartbreaking, and at times makes me feel helpless.”

The “Supergirl” star went on to describe her show as supporting “equality and feminism, empowerment, and fighting for what is right.”

Benoist said she is remaining optimistic: “I believe lasting change is possible, and when people are mistreated, they should have a safe forum to speak their truth and always be heard… And when people commit crimes or harass others they should always be held accountable–no matter what industry they work in or how much power they wield.”

Chyler Leigh, who plays Benoist’s sister on “Supergirl,” also sent out a message on Instagram.

Quoting Maya Angelou, she said, “Each time a woman stands up for herself, without knowing it possibly, without claiming it, she stands up for all women.”

“Let’s stand up Ladies. Lets stand up FOR each other. Let’s stand up WITH each other,” the message continued.

“Arrow” star Emily Bett Rickards also tweeted Sunday night to call out harassment.

“To the men who committed harassment, who perpetuated rape culture, who turn a ‘blind eye,’ and complain about ‘reverse sexism': you are weak and complicit,” she said.

“To the women who found the strength to speak up,” she continued. “To the women who supported one another and to the women finding their voice: you can. You are heroines.”

Although the three stars did not call out Kreisberg specifically, their posts follow his announced suspension last week that followed a Variety report about accusations from 19 men and women, who chose to remain anonymous to avoid retaliation. Kreisberg was accused of touching colleagues without permission and asking for massages from female staff members. He is also accused of kissing women without permission and consistent sexualized comments on the appearance of women. Kreisberg is an executive producer for both “Arrow” and “Supergirl” — along with “The Flash” and “DC’s Legends of Tomorrow.” He has denied the accusations.

Warner Bros. is investigating the alleged harassment: “We have recently been made aware of allegations of misconduct against Andrew Kreisberg,” the studio said in a statement Friday. “We have suspended Mr. Kreisberg and are conducting an internal investigation. We take all allegations of misconduct extremely seriously, and are committed to creating a safe working environment for our employees and everyone involved in our productions.”