The 34th annual TCA Awards, emceed by former BET late-night host Robin Thede, celebrated TV critics’ top programs and performances from the 2017-2018 season. FX again had a big night, with this year’s top honors going to “The Americans.”
With four wins, 2018 marked the third straight year the 21st Century Fox-owned (for now) prestige cable channel took home the night’s most trophies. The final season of Cold War thriller “The Americans” earned Program of the Year, Outstanding Achievement in Drama, and claimed the Individual Achievement in Drama award for Keri Russell.
Also of particular note, Sandra Oh’s “Killing Eve” joined the fray as Outstanding New Program, “The Good Place” was named best comedy, and Rita Moreno added a TCA Award to her EGOT collection.
“This year’s TCA Awards offered the welcome opportunity to say goodbye to one of the era’s most critically acclaimed shows in ‘The Americans,’ a drama that combined espionage thrills, high emotional stakes and international intrigue that couldn’t have been more current,” said Daniel Fienberg, TCA president. “Our other winners included new shows like ‘Killing Eve’ and ‘The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel,’ rebooted shows like ‘Queer Eye,’ the anthological darkness of another ‘American Crime Story’ chapter and the hopefully timeless and unending wonder of ‘Sesame Street.’ As we always say, TV offers something for every audience in 2018 and if you can’t find anything to watch, you’re not trying hard enough and you need to read some more TV critics!”
Here are your 2018 winners:
- Individual Achievement in Drama: Keri Russell (“The Americans,” FX)
- Individual Achievement in Comedy: Rachel Brosnahan (“The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel,” Amazon)
- Outstanding Achievement in News and Information: Anthony Bourdain: “Parts Unknown” (CNN)
- Outstanding Achievement in Reality Programming: “Queer Eye” (Netflix)
- Outstanding Achievement in Youth Programming: “Sesame Street” (HBO)
- Outstanding Achievement in Sketch/Variety Shows: “Last Week Tonight With John Oliver” (HBO)
- Outstanding New Program: “Killing Eve” (BBC America)
- Outstanding Achievement in Movies And Miniseries: “The Assassination of Gianni Versace: American Crime Story” (FX)
- Outstanding Achievement in Drama: “The Americans” (FX)
- Outstanding Achievement in Comedy: “The Good Place” (NBC)
- Program of the Year: “The Americans” (FX)
- Lifetime Achievement Honoree: Rita Moreno
- Heritage Award: “Friends” (NBC)
Readers can find this year’s list of nominees here.