TheGrill 2019: “If you believe that Facebook and Instagram and Google and others are contributing to the problems in our democracy, is it ethical to continue to be on those platforms?” Magnet Companies co-founder Jeff Berman asks
“If you believe that Facebook and Instagram and Google and others are contributing to the problems in our democracy, is it ethical to continue to be on those platforms?”
That was the question posed by Jeff Berman, a panelist on a Silicon Beach roundtable Wednesday at The Grill, TheWrap’s annual conference on entertainment and business. Berman, co-founder of private equity-backed holding company Magnet Companies, was part of a discussion on how companies can balance their financial obligations to shareholders with their ethical obligations to consumers.
“I think when you’re leading companies, whether it’s five people or 500 people, increasingly we’re being pressured by our employees to take stands and show where our values are and what we’re about and that can be very complicated when it runs up against shareholder value,” said Berman. He asked whether it was OK to stay on platforms that may harm democracy if it’s “integral to your business but maintain your obligation to your employees, your customers and to society.” Danny Keens, current head of content at NextVR, shared his experience working at Twitter when the company was developing.
Watch the full video from the panel above.
For Only $1/Day Members Access:
- 5 exclusive members-only stories a week
- Digital Video industry analysis and deep-dive features
- Daily WrapPRO newsletter covering the latest digital video industry news
- Access to full length Members-Only Video archive
- Video of notable sessions from TheWrap Events (TheGrill, Power Women Summit)
- VIP seating for TheWrap's Screening Series with stars and filmmakers
- Access to 'chill spots' at select industry events Sundance, TIFF, Newfronts and more
- Access to exclusive invite-only events
- DataBank showcasing key stats and streaming video trends in the OTT market
- In-depth entertainment industry research and whitepapers