“We never want to make anyone feel guilty or preached to,” Lerer says
The Dodo, the social media brand that has entertained millions with endearing animal videos, continues its push beyond Facebook and YouTube to linear and SVOD platforms.
The company recently announced a new kids show that will be the first unscripted series on Netflix Kids, “Izzy Bee’s Koala World.” Last year, Group Nine’s The Dodo launched its first TV show “The Dodo Heroes” on Animal Planet and just wrapped production of its second season.
The Dodo’s founder and chief creative officer Izzie Lerer spoke with TheWrap about the key to creating a successful animal brand that transcends digital — finding the sweet spot between “pure fluff” and “hardcore activism.”
The Dodo has locked in show deals with Facebook Watch, YouTube, Animal Planet, and now Netflix. What makes the brand so attractive to these platforms?
I think The Dodo is attractive to platforms like these for two main reasons. First, our singular focus on animals has allowed us to become expert storytellers in the space in a short period of time. This hyper-focus has allowed us to gain real expertise quickly about how to tell animal stories that perform extremely well and really resonate with audiences. We made a…
For Only $1/Day Members Access:
- 5 exclusive members-only stories a week
- Digital Video industry analysis and deep-dive features
- Daily WrapPRO newsletter covering the latest digital video industry news
- Access to full length Members-Only Video archive
- Video of notable sessions from TheWrap Events (TheGrill, Power Women Summit)
- VIP seating for TheWrap's Screening Series with stars and filmmakers
- Access to 'chill spots' at select industry events Sundance, TIFF, Newfronts and more
- Access to exclusive invite-only events
- DataBank showcasing key stats and streaming video trends in the OTT market
- In-depth entertainment industry research and whitepapers