The Onion got dark over the weekend, lampooning suicide prevention with a cutting headline that rankled dog owners.
“New Program Provides Depressed Americans With Suicide Assistance Dogs,” the headline of the article read with a photo of a dog holding a noose in its mouth.
— The Onion (@TheOnion) April 16, 2018
The iconic satirical broadsheet didn’t bother producing an article.
The image was met with outrage in some quarters with some folks demanding that the post be taken down — so far, however, the tweet has not been ratioed.
“RIP your menchies,” offered the Twitter prophet “Comfortably Smug” — and he wasn’t wrong.
RIP your menchies
– Comfortably Smug (@ComfortablySmug) April 16, 2018
Tasteless and triggering to lots of people.
– Sammie Moshenberg (@SamMosh) April 16, 2018
this is a dangerous tweet – for those who are saying “I’m depressed, I found it funny” Not all are the same: depression and feeling suicidal are not synonymous. Please @TheOnion take this down. It’s too risky to the most vulnerable.
– Andy Shudall (@Andy_Shudall) April 16, 2018
Oof. Not a good look pic.twitter.com/KuQiYPPney
– Holly Stayton (@hollystayton) April 16, 2018
My teen has clnical depression. Not funny at all.
– Lisa Clemens (@LClem71304) April 16, 2018
Yeah that’s not very funny.
– ??”????????’???? (@sharpndpensel) April 16, 2018
– George Meanwell (@gmeanwell) April 16, 2018
This… this feels wrong.
– Joel Myers (@joelmyers52) April 16, 2018
Shame on you.
– Denise Lanier (@TXmoonspeak) April 16, 2018