The nine-month fall TV season is officially in the books and we can separate the social winners and losers by a mere 140 characters.
With pesky “Breaking Bad” out of its way, fellow AMC hit show “The Walking Dead” took over as the top series on Twitter this season, according to Nielsen. The zombie drama was followed by “The Bachelor,” “Game of Thrones,” “American Horror Story” — all regulars on the list.
In its first season, “Empire” finished fifth overall based on the ratings giant’s Twitter metric.
“Scandal” and “Pretty Little Liars” were next in line, with the concluding “Parks and Recreation” making the list at No. 8. Other regular contenders, “WWE Monday Night Raw” and “Dancing With the Stars,” rounded out the Top 10, respectively. ABC Family’s “PLL” slid from third to seventh year-over-year in this ranking, which goes by average Twitter TV Audience.
“The Voice” fell out of the Top 10 this year; last season NBC’s fall singing competition finished eighth by the social media ranker.
In terms of TV specials, the 57th Annual Grammy Awards on CBS took over the top slot from The Oscars this year. The Golden Globes finished third, while the Emmys were out of contention for typical fall season, as TV’s biggest night moved to August for the year.
As always, the Super Bowl topped all sporting events, though football didn’t necessarily run the table this time around. The much-hyped (and much disappointing) Floyd Mayweather Jr. vs. Manny Pacquiao boxing match was runner-up.
Below are the Top 10s in each category.
- The Walking Dead (AMC)
- The Bachelor (ABC)
- Game of Thrones (HBO, HBO Latino)
- American Horror Story: Freak Show (FX)
- Empire (FOX)
- Scandal (ABC)
- Pretty Little Liars (ABC Family)
- Parks and Recreation (NBC)
- WWE Monday Night Raw (USA Network)
- Dancing with the Stars (ABC)
- The 57th Annual Grammy Awards (CBS)
- The Oscars (ABC)
- The 72nd Annual Golden Globe Awards (NBC)
- 2014 American Music Awards (ABC)
- 2015 Billboard Music Awards (ABC)
- Bruce Jenner – – The Interview (ABC)
- The Victoria’s Secret Fashion Show (CBS)
- The 48th Annual CMA Awards (ABC)
- iHeartRadio Music Awards (NBC)
- BET Hip Hop Awards 2014 (BET)
- Super Bowl XLIX: New England Patriots vs. Seattle Seahawks (NBC, NBC Universo)
- Boxing, Floyd Mayweather Jr. vs. Manny Pacquiao (Pay-Per-View)
- NFC Championship: Greenbay Packers at Seattle Seahawks (FOX, FOX Deportes)
- NFC Divisional Playoff: Dallas Cowboys at Greenbay Packers (FOX, FOX Deportes)
- 2015 National Championship: Ohio State vs. Oregon (ESPN, ESPN Deportes)
- Rose Bowl: Florida State vs. Oregon (ESPN, ESPN Deportes)
- AFC Championship: Indianapolis Colts at New England Patriots (CBS)
- 2015 NCAA Basketball Tournament: Duke vs. Wisconsin (CBS)
- NFC Wild-Card Game: Detroit Lions at Dallas Cowboys (FOX, FOX Deportes)
- AFC Divisional Playoff: Baltimore Ravens at New England Patriots (MUN2, NBC)
And below is a fun infographic breaking down the biggest moments of the fall season on Twitter.
In addition to the above-mentioned series, specials and sports, “SNL 40” is singled out here for its success, as is the Nickelodeon “Kids Choice Awards” and Univision’s “Nuestra Belleza Latina.”