‘Underground’ Canceled After 2 Seasons on WGN America

The show “no longer fits with our new direction and we have reached the difficult decision not to renew it for a third season,” says Tribune President and CEO Peter Kern

Last Updated: May 30, 2017 @ 3:41 PM

“Underground” will not return for a third season on WGN America, the network announced Tuesday.

“Despite ‘Underground’ being a terrific and important series, it no longer fits with our new direction and we have reached the difficult decision not to renew it for a third season,” Tribune Media President and CEO Peter Kern said in a statement.

Kern cited the changing TV landscape in Tribune’s decision to cancel its last remaining scripted series, saying: “As WGN America evolves and broadens the scope and scale of its portfolio of series, we recently announced that resources will be reallocated to a new strategy to increase our relevance within the rapidly changing television landscape.”

From Sony Pictures Television, the series was created and written by Misha Green and Joe Pokaski, who served as executive producers alongside Emmy-nominated director Anthony Hemingway; Academy Award-winning writer Akiva Goldsman of Weed Road Pictures; Tory Tunnell and Joby Harold of Safehouse Pictures; John Legend, Mike Jackson and Ty Stiklorius of Get Lifted Film Co; and Mark Taylor.

Jurnee Smollett-Bell, Aldis Hodge, Christopher Meloni, Alano Miller and ‎Jessica de Gouw starred, while Season 2 saw Aisha Hinds join as Harriet Tubman and John Legend guest-star as Frederick Douglass.

“Underground” wrapped up its 10-episode second season in May. WGN America also canceled “Outsiders,” its only other scripted series, earlier this month.

See Kern’s full statement below:

“As WGN America evolves and broadens the scope and scale of its portfolio of series, we recently announced that resources will be reallocated to a new strategy to increase our relevance within the rapidly changing television landscape.  This move is designed to deliver additional value for our advertising and distribution partners and offer viewers more original content across our air.  Despite ‘Underground’ being a terrific and important series, it no longer fits with our new direction and we have reached the difficult decision not to renew it for a third season. 

We are tremendously proud of this landmark series that captured the zeitgeist and made an impact on television in a way never before seen on the medium.  We thank the incomparable creators Misha Green and Joe Pokaski and the great John Legend, along with the talented creative team and cast who brought the unsung American heroes of the Underground Railroad to life.  We are grateful to the loyal fans of ‘Underground’ and our partners at Sony Pictures Television.  It is our hope that this remarkable show finds another home and continues its stories of courage, determination and freedom.”