Quirky 2014 vampire cult movie rises from the grave as a television show on FX
Being a human slave to a coven full of underachieving vampires can truly suck.
Just ask Harvey Guillén, who plays Guillermo — a mortal assistant to a bunch of centuries-old blood-sucking misfits from Staten Island — in FX’s adaptation of “What We Do in the Shadows.”
“We kind of do all the dirty work,” Guillén told TheWrap. “I’m not a vampire but I long to be a vampire, so I actually do whatever it takes to please my master.”
Among his daily chores: Closing all the curtains during sunlight hours, making sure the coffins are shut ever so tightly, and procuring a never-ending supply of virgin blood, the undead’s dish of choice.
For that, Guillermo heads off to his favorite hunting grounds, also known as “LARPing” clubs — or Live Action Role Play — at Staten Island Community College.
Based on the 2014 feature film by Jemaine Clement and Taika Waititi,”What We Do in the Shadows” premieres Wednesday on FX. The vampire mockumentary has the same shaky camera moves and amateurish…
For Only $1/Day Members Access:
- 5 exclusive members-only stories a week
- Digital Video industry analysis and deep-dive features
- Daily WrapPRO newsletter covering the latest digital video industry news
- Access to full length Members-Only Video archive
- Video of notable sessions from TheWrap Events (TheGrill, Power Women Summit)
- VIP seating for TheWrap's Screening Series with stars and filmmakers
- Access to 'chill spots' at select industry events Sundance, TIFF, Newfronts and more
- Access to exclusive invite-only events
- DataBank showcasing key stats and streaming video trends in the OTT market
- In-depth entertainment industry research and whitepapers