We've Got Hollywood Covered

Whitney Houston Death Investigation: Case Closed, No Foul Play

Singer Whitney Houston’s death is ”not a criminal matter,“ police say

Whitney Houston's death is no longer a topic of interest for the Beverly Hills Police Department.

The BHPD has closed its investigation into Houston's Feb. 11 demise, determining that there was no foul play in the singer's death.

Houston, 48, was found face-down in the bathtub of her suite at the Beverly Hilton hotel by a member of her personal staff. The Los Angeles Coroner's Office later determined that Houston died of accidental drowning, and that heart disease and cocaine use also contributed to her death.

"Based on the findings of our investigation and our review of the Coroner’s Report we have determined that this is not a criminal matter," the department said in a statement obtained by TheWrap. "The BHPD investigation has been officially closed."

The department added, "Our condolences go out to her family, friends and fans who mourn her untimely passing."

Also read: Whitney Houston Death Scene: White Powder Everywhere, Coroner Says

According to Houston's final autopsy report, "a small spoon with a white crystal-like substance" was found in the bathroom of Houston's hotel suite. The spoon was found sitting next to a "rolled up piece of white paper" on the bathroom counter. A "ripped open small plastic bag" and a bottle of prescription pills were also found on the counter. (Though Houston had a number of substances, including marijuana, in her system at the time of her death, the Los Angeles coroner determined that only the cocaine had played a part.)

Also read: Whitney Houston's Death: Why the Media Sidestepped the Lurid Details

Authorities also found "remnants of a white powdery substance" in the top drawer beneath the counter, along with a mirror on a base, which also bore remnants of a white, powdery substance.

Houston had struggled with substance abuse throughout her life.

The Beverly Hills Police Department opened its investigation on the day of the singer's death, and waited to determine what path to take pending the coroner's findings, which were released in a final autopsy report, which was released April 4.