Whatcha gonna do? Whatcha gonna do when they come for you? The bad boys are officially back.
In a video posted to Will Smith’s Instagram account, he and Martin Lawrence announced that the long-awaited “Bad Boys 3” film, “Bad Boys for Life,” is happening with Sony.
A Sony spokeswoman told TheWrap that the film will begin production in mid-January, and the film is slated for a Jan. 17 2020 release.
“It’s been a LOOOONG time Coming. But now it’s Here! @BadBoys For Life ???? We back!!” Smith writes in the caption to the video (below).
“Bad Boys for Life” will see Smith and Lawrence’s infamous cop duo reunited after 23 years. The first “Bad Boys” came out in 1995, earning $141.4 million in worldwide box office on a production budget of $19 million, according to Box Office Mojo.
The follow up “Bad Boys II” came out eight years later and pulled in $273.3 million around the world on a $130 million box office.
In the 15 years since “Bad Boys II,” Lawrence and Smith have talked both disappointedly and excitedly about the project’s on-again, off-again progress; at times, promising it a third film was coming while other times confessing that it didn’t seem like it would all come together. Just last year, Lawrence told Entertainment Weekly that he didn’t think it would happen.
Sony was closing in on greenlighting the project at the beginning of October, Variety reported.
Jerry Bruckheimer is returning also to produce the film, which will be directed this time out by co directors Adil El Arbi and Bilall Fallah.