Looks like Wonder Woman just caught Harley Quinn. Twelve days after passing “Suicide Squad” on the domestic box office charts, Warner Bros.’ “Wonder Woman” will pass DC’s supervillain showcase worldwide in its sixth weekend in theaters.
This weekend, “Wonder Woman” made an estimated $16.9 million worldwide, with $10.1 million coming from the U.S. If that number holds by Sunday’s end, it will give the film a global total of $745.8 million, passing the $745.6 million made by “Suicide Squad” last year. Domestically, the film has a running total of $368.7 million, having passed the $330 million made by “Batman v Superman” last week. China leads overseas markets with $88 million, followed by Brazil with $31.7 million.
“Wonder Woman” is now the fourth highest grossing DC movie of all-time, with Batman films still holding the top three — the record belongs to “The Dark Knight Rises” with $1.08 billion, followed by “The Dark Knight” with $1 billion and “Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice” with $873 million. If you stack Patty Jenkins’ film alongside the films in DC’s main peer, the Marvel Cinematic Universe, it would rank seventh, with the film in the No. 6 spot, “Guardians of the Galaxy,” within reach at $773 million. “WW” is also the highest grossing movie directed by a woman, blowing by the $660 million scored by “Mamma Mia” in 2009.
“Wonder Woman” opens in its final market, Japan, on Aug. 25. The super heroine will return to theaters in “Justice League,” which hits theaters Nov. 17.
8 Villains 'Wonder Woman' Could Face in The Sequel (Photos)
With the success of "Wonder Woman," Warner Bros. wants to get you a sequel as soon as possible -- and every great story needs a villain. Here's who Diana might face in "Wonder Woman 2."
1. Medusa In one of the most popular storylines from the "Wonder Woman" comics, Diana faced off against the Gorgon Medusa in a battle to the death inside Yankee Stadium. Of course it was broadcast worldwide.
2. Cheetah British archaeologist Barbra Minerva, aka Cheetah, is another of Wonder Woman's most popular foes in the comics. Her comic look probably won't work for a sequel, so a cinematic upgrade would be needed.
3. Deimos Deimos is the God of Terror and also the son of Ares, the God of War from the first film. Deimos could look to avenge Ares in the sequel.
4. Circe The evil sorceress was almost the villain in the first film, but didn't make the final cut. In the comics, she has teamed up with DC bad guys like Lex Luthor.
5. Giganta One of Wonder Woman's more classic foes is a brilliant scientist, Dr. Doris Zeul, who managed to hijack the body of a circus performer with the power to increase her size.
6. Genocide Wonder Woman's version of Superman-killer Doomsday, Genocide defeated Wonder Woman in their first ever battle -- and even stole the lasso of truth.
7. Maxwell Lord Both cunning and ruthless, Max Lord is Wonder Woman's version of Lex Luthor. Lord was so villainous, Wonder Woman snapped his neck in the comics.
8. Doctor Psycho The misogynistic Doctor Psycho seeks to dominate women with his mind- control powers. He once targeted Steve Trevor in order to mess with Wonder Woman's emotions.