World Series Game 1 Generates 5 Million Facebook Interactions: Who Was Buzzing (Exclusive)

2.6 million Facebook users were responsible for 5 million interactions during the game

Game 1 of the World Series was never really much of a game at all, with the Boston Red Sox trouncing the St. Louis Cardinals 8-1 at home.

Jon Lester pitched a gem, David Ortiz went deep — nearly twice — and Red Sox fans reacted via social media. A spokesperson for Facebook told TheWrap that the Boston squad generated 62 percent of the World Series buzz during the first game, leaving the Cardinals responsible for 38 percent. That disparity is not necessarily surprising given the course of the game and market size difference.

In all, there were 5 million total World Series interactions across 2.6 million Facebook users Wednesday night.

See photos: 30 of the Biggest Home Runs and Most Embarrassing Strikeouts in Baseball Movie History

Despite the sport of baseball perhaps skewing older, social media is still a young adults game. Here are the top five demographics buzzing about the World Series on Facebook last night:

1.       Men 25-34
2.       Men 35-44
3.       Women 25-34
4.       Women 35-44
5.       Men 18-24

See photos: Not Quite America’s Pastime: 10 Obscure Sports That Made it To the Big Screen

Naturally, the top two states interacting on Facebook about the World Series are the ones with the skin in the game: Massachusetts and Missouri, respectively. Those rounding out the top 10, however, may be surprising. Here are those Facebook rankings:

1.       Massachusetts
2.       Missouri
3.       Texas
4.       Illinois
5.       California
6.       Florida
7.       New York
8.       New Jersey
9.       Virginia
10.    Pennsylvania

Game 2 of the World Series airs Thursday on Fox at 8:07 p.m. ET — expect your News Feed to blow up accordingly.