Lara Logan on ’60 Minutes’ Benghazi Report: ‘We Were Misled,’ Are ‘Very Sorry’ (Video)

Lara-Logan-60-Minutes-Benghazi

The anchor admitted that they were misled by a source in their Oct. 27 report, saying again Sunday, “We are very sorry … The truth is we made a mistake.”

CBS and “60 Minutes” on Sunday apologized to viewers for parts of the show’s Oct. 27 report on the attack on an American diplomatic mission in Benghazi, Libya.

“We realized we had been misled and it was a mistake to include [Dylan Davies] in our report,” Lara Logan said at the end of Sunday’s telecast. She continued: “For that, we are very sorry. The most important thing to every person at ’60 Minutes’ is the truth, and the truth is we made a mistake.”

Also read: ’60 Minutes’ Lara Logan Admits ‘We Made a Mistake’ on Benghazi Report (Video)

Logan opened by explaining the mix-up: “In the story, a security officer working for the state department — Dylan Davies — told us he went to the compound during the attack and detailed his role that night. After the report aired, questions arose about whether his account was true when an incident report surfaced. It told a different story about what he did the night of the attack. Davies denied having anything to do with that incident report and insisted the story he told us was not only accurate, it was the same story he told the FBI when they interviewed him.”

One thing Logan did not explain was how CBS, which claimed it spent a year on the story and spoke with over a hundred sources, was not able to get a copy of the FBI report before airing Davies’ claims, nor what measures it would be taking to ensure this didn’t happen again.

The story had come under fire when reports contradicted the statements of its primary source, Dylan Davies (who was given the pseudonym “Morgan Jones” on the show), a British security officer who claimed he was on the scene when the mission was attacked on Sept. 11, 2012. Both an incident report made to Davies’ employers and an FBI report had Davies saying he was never there.

Also read: Fox News Stands By Its Benghazi Reporting

Davies told the show that he witnessed the attack and even physically fought off a terrorist. He also claimed he saw the body of American ambassador J. Christopher Stevens, who was killed in the attack, in a Libyan hospital.

Though CBS had initially said it stood by its story, on Thursday it said the report was under review.

“’60 Minutes’ has learned of new information that undercuts the account told to us by Morgan Jones of his actions on the night of the attack on the Benghazi compound,” CBS said then.

Logan had earlier apologized on “CBS This Morning” on Friday.

Watch the clip of Sunday’s apology:

Sara Morrison contributed to this report.

  • The_Truth_Seeker

    Remember the “checkbook” journalism of Elizabeth Vargas? – she’s STILL at ABC
    news.

    Also, way back in 2004, a number of news outlets (including NPR and ABC News) failed to investigate and correct the very misleading and false accounts relating to the (deliberately?) “botched” 2004 Siemens science competition. To this day, over 1200 fellow competitors never learned the truth about what really happened that year. Rather than face major embarrassment from having to admit the truth, all those involved decided to protect their own reputations and those of Siemens and the College Board by engaging in a coordinated cover up of what happened (it was a lot easier to do in this case and at that time). So much for truth in reporting!!

    There have been many other cases of journalist sweeping mistakes under the rug, rather than having to admit them. It just depends on how much they fear getting caught and how much they think people might care. In the case of an otherwise forgettable high school competition, they figured “Who cares if we got it right or wrong – its a stupid high school competition”.