Trouble with ABC’s live stream of the 2016 Oscars sparked complaints on social media on Sunday.
The stream, which had limited availability, seemed to go down during host Chris Rock‘s opening monologue, displaying errors for some users trying to watch the awards show on ABC’s website.
“Huge shoutout for #abc live stream not working and making it impossible for me to watch the oscars,” wrote one frustrated user on Twitter.
The stream, on ABC’s website, was only made available to viewers in several major cities, and only with a cable subscription. Viewers outside of Chicago, Fresno, Houston, Los Angeles, New York City, Philadelphia, Raleigh-Durham and San Francisco were out of luck.
Twitter users who couldn’t legally watch the awards also voiced their frustration online as Disney and ABC shut down illegal streams, upset that they were left without a way to view the ceremony.
See some of the reactions below:
– TheWrap (@TheWrap) February 29, 2016
– Mr. Jim Newman (@MrJimNewman) February 29, 2016
– Mary Manchin (@Nnja11) February 29, 2016
– Taylor Trudon (@taylortrudon) February 29, 2016
Can’t live stream, so I’m actually watching the #Oscars on Twitter. What a time to be alive.
– sonia Q. verma (@sQverma) February 29, 2016
me too, in DC https://t.co/8pF68BtLwj
– Rob Quest (@RikRacer) February 29, 2016
Trouble right here in river city. https://t.co/Z8fAnpaDoy
– robyn stein (@robynstein) February 29, 2016
Don’t have cable, rabbit ears broken, can’t stream the Oscars online….. pouting & going to bed early
– Madeline Kamal (@madelinekamal) February 29, 2016
– gerard kennelly (@GerardKennelly) February 29, 2016
fuckin Disney blocking every oscars live stream I’m ragin
– catherine (@cairneycath) February 29, 2016
DISNEY blocked the oscars live stream pic.twitter.com/CQ1OMfh3xH
– REVIVAL (@rockingwithselG) February 29, 2016