‘Boardwalk Empire’ Renewed by HBO

boardwalk empire

HBO drama scored five Emmys this year

“Boardwalk Empire” has been picked up for a fifth season by HBO, the network said on Thursday.

The series, which premiered its fourth season Sept. 8, racked up five Emmy awards at this year’s ceremony, including outstanding supporting actor in a drama series for Bobby Cannavale.

Also read: ‘Boardwalk Empire’ Takes Off ‘Like a Silver Bullet’ – But Where Is It Going?

The Season 4 premiere of the series, which stars Steve Buscemi as bootlegging kingpin Enoch “Nucky” Thompson, drew a slightly lower audience compared to the previous season’s premiere, 2.4 million total viewers, versus the 2.9 million for the Season 3 premiere. However, this season’s premiere aired opposite AMC”s “Breaking Bad,” which has boosted its viewership considerably since returning for its final eight episodes in August.

HBO Programming President Michael Lombardo hailed the series as being “in a class by itself,” praising “Boardwalk” creator Terence Winter and his team when announcing the renewal.

Also read: ‘Boardwalk Empire’ Premiere Dips Slightly; Rival AMC Drama ‘Breaking Bad’ Draws 5.1M

“Thanks to Terry Winter, Martin Scorsese, Tim Van Patten, Howard Korder and their stellar team, ‘Boardwalk Empire’ remains in a class by itself,” Lombardo said. “I look forward to another electrifying season of this impeccably crafted series.”

The initial 9 p.m. airing of the HBO drama, which stars Steve Buscemi as bootlegger Enoch “Nucky” Thompson, drew 2.4 million total viewers — off from the 2.9 million that the Season 3 premiere grabbed last year.

 

 

More to come…