Disney Pushes Fifth ‘Indiana Jones’ Film to 2020

Steven Spielberg will return to direct franchise star Harrison Ford, who will turn 78 three days after film’s release

Walt Disney Pictures has pushed the fifth, untitled film in the Indiana Jones franchise a year down the release schedule.

Previously dated for July 19, 2019, the film will now open on July 10, 2020. Steven Spielberg is set to return to direct star Harrison Ford. The “Star Wars” actor, who is currently 74, will turn 78 on July 13, 2020.

Kathleen Kennedy and Frank Marshall will return to produce. The films have grossed roughly $2 billion at the global box office.

Announced in 2016, Disney film studio head Alan Horn said the character “is one of the greatest heroes in cinematic history, and we can’t wait to bring him back to the screen… It’s rare to have such a perfect combination of director, producers, actor and role, and we couldn’t be more excited to embark on this adventure with Harrison and Steven.”

Spielberg also spoke of the importance of having Ford in the role — as opposed to recasting the adventurer like many superheroes have been replaced in comic book adaptations.

“It’s certainly not my intention to ever have another actor step into his shoes in the way there have been many actors that have played Spider-Man or Batman,” Spielberg said. “There is only going to be one actor playing Indiana Jones and that’s Harrison Ford.”