“Trainwreck” director has been vocal opponent of the comedian since multiple sexual assault allegations surfaced
“Bill Cosby has spent his life attempting to silence the women he has assaulted with threats, lawsuits and money,” Apatow tweeted. “Hopefully now many of these women will get to tell their stories in a court of law and the people who supported him will get deposed.”
Apatow, the director of hit comedies like “Trainwreck,” “40-Year-Old Virgin,” and “Knocked Up,” has been very vocal about his disdain for Cosby since the 78-year-old star was accused of sexual assault by dozens of women.
In an interview with CNN in July, Apatow said that Cosby “got a pass” for his crimes for years and compared him to a “pedophile priest.”
“He does an enormous amount of positive to the world then has this other side. No one wants to attack someone who is so charitable,” Apatow said. “That makes it so tragic. He betrayed everybody and it’s very, very sad. But, you can’t let him just run around and get away with it. People who rape people go to jail for the rest of their lives.”
Cosby was charged Wednesday with aggravated indecent assault stemming from a an alleged 2004 incident in Pennsylvania. The embattled ex-sitcom star and stand-up comedian is expected to be arraigned later on Wednesday.
A former Temple University employee associated with the school’s women’s basketball program told police that the comic drugged and violated her at Cosby’s home near Philadelphia. Cosby has previously stated under oath that he had consensual sexual contact with the woman.
The previous district attorney declined to charge the star in 2005.