J.K. Rowling, Ellen DeGeneres, Russell Simmons, Rihanna, Pharrell and many more took to Twitter on Wednesday to honor the literary icon
Hollywood stars, media personalities, and authors joined millions of others expressing their condolences, or celebrating the distinguished poet, writer and civil rights activist's life by sharing her greatest contribution to this world — her powerful words of wisdom.
Also read: 21 Beautiful Maya Angelou Quotes to Live by
See what J.K. Rowling, Lena Dunham, Ellen DeGeneres and others famous folks had to say, below:
“If you are always trying to be normal, you will never know how amazing you can be.” Maya Angelou – who was utterly amazing.
- J.K. Rowling (@jk_rowling) May 28, 2014
RIP to one of the greatest women this world has ever known. Thank you Maya Angelou for all of the gifts and knowledge you gave us…
– Russell Simmons (@UncleRUSH) May 28, 2014
Thank you, Maya, for your power, your politics, your poetry. We need you more than ever. Rest in peace.
- Lena Dunham (@lenadunham) May 28, 2014
Today the world lost one of it's greatest gifts. I'm sending love to the friends and family of Maya Angelou.
You may shoot me with your words You may cut me with your eyes You may kill me with your hatefulness But still like air I'll rise
- Megan Ellison (@meganeellison) May 28, 2014
Maya Angelou is my hero. She gave me courage to love myself and others. Her life was a gift to so many.
Saddened by the news of Maya Angelou‘s passing. A brilliant woman who contributed so much to the world. Her light will be sorely missed.
- Pharrell Williams (@Pharrell) May 28, 2014
- Chris Cuomo (@ChrisCuomo) May 28, 2014
“I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.”
- Soledad O'Brien (@soledadobrien) May 28, 2014
I'm a woman Phenomenally. Phenomenal woman, That's me. — Maya Angelou
- Athena Jones (@AthenaCNN) May 28, 2014
- Anne Rice (@AnneRiceAuthor) May 28, 2014
- Jen Kirkman (@JenKirkman) May 28, 2014
Sweet Maya Angelou, rest in peace, amazing woman. What a light.
- Chely Wright (@chelywright) May 28, 2014
- Reverend Al Sharpton (@TheRevAl) May 28, 2014
I was thinking about her lately. GOD Bless the Soul of one if my heroes. Dr Maya Angelou
RIP Maya Angelou, may you live on with the force
- Darth Vader (@DepressedDarth) May 28, 2014