J.K. Rowling, Ellen DeGeneres, Russell Simmons, Rihanna, Pharrell and many more took to Twitter on Wednesday to honor the literary icon
Maya Angelou was found dead at 86 on Wednesday, and became a trending topic on Twitter as the world heard word of her passing.
Hollywood stars, media personalities, and authors joined millions of others expressing their condolences, or celebrating the distinguished poet, writer and civil rights activist’s life by sharing her greatest contribution to this world — her powerful words of wisdom.
Also read: 21 Beautiful Maya Angelou Quotes to Live by
“If you are always trying to be normal, you will never know how amazing you can be.” Maya Angelou – who was utterly amazing.
RIP to one of the greatest women this world has ever known. Thank you Maya Angelou for all of the gifts and knowledge you gave us…
– Russell Simmons (@UncleRUSH) May 28, 2014
Thank you, Maya, for your power, your politics, your poetry. We need you more than ever. Rest in peace.
Today the world lost one of it’s greatest gifts. I’m sending love to the friends and family of Maya Angelou.
- Ellen DeGeneres (@TheEllenShow) May 28, 2014
You may shoot me with your words You may cut me with your eyes You may kill me with your hatefulness But still like air I’ll rise
Maya Angelou is my hero. She gave me courage to love myself and others. Her life was a gift to so many.
Saddened by the news of Maya Angelou’s passing. A brilliant woman who contributed so much to the world. Her light will be sorely missed.
- Pharrell Williams (@Pharrell) May 28, 2014
- Chris Cuomo (@ChrisCuomo) May 28, 2014
“I’ve learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.”
- William Shatner (@WilliamShatner) May 28, 2014
My first intv with Maya Angelou, she read this poem to me. http://t.co/bLuLSU7r4E.
- Soledad O’Brien (@soledadobrien) May 28, 2014
I’m a woman Phenomenally. Phenomenal woman, That’s me. — Maya Angelou
- Athena Jones (@AthenaCNN) May 28, 2014
We have lost Maya Angelou at the age of 86. RIP Thanks to Troy Hawkins and many others for bringing this news to… http://t.co/8HjUEHfGez
- Anne Rice (@AnneRiceAuthor) May 28, 2014
How sad (for us) that Maya Angelou isn’t here. Lucky my teachers introduced her. Will never forget Maya & Chappelle. https://t.co/9SRJdBmqGN
- Jen Kirkman (@JenKirkman) May 28, 2014
Sweet Maya Angelou, rest in peace, amazing woman. What a light.
- Kate Walsh (@katewalsh) May 28, 2014
- Rihanna (@rihanna) May 28, 2014
- Chely Wright (@chelywright) May 28, 2014
“Maya Angelou was the quintessential renaissance woman of the 20th century art and human rights movements.”… http://t.co/RJTj1jC3St
- Reverend Al Sharpton (@TheRevAl) May 28, 2014
I was thinking about her lately. GOD Bless the Soul of one if my heroes. Dr Maya Angelou
- COMMON (@common) May 28, 2014
RIP Maya Angelou, may you live on with the force
- Darth Vader (@DepressedDarth) May 28, 2014