Friend Steve Martin tweets: “I could not be more stunned by the loss of Robin Williams, mensch, great talent, acting partner, genuine soul”
The Sheriff’s Office Coroner Division initially suspects the death to be a suicide by asphyxia. Hollywood immediately reacted to the news with a stunned outpouring of grief, love and disbelief on social media.
Here are some of the first remembrances to hit the web:
- deadmau5 (@deadmau5) August 11, 2014
Also read: Robin Williams, Oscar-Winning Actor, Dead at 63 of Suicide
So sad to hear another great is gone..Rest in Peace beautiful @robinwilliams
- RJ Mitte (@RjMitte) August 11, 2014
See photos: Hollywood’s Notable Deaths of 2014
- Michael Rosenbaum (@mrosenbaum711) August 11, 2014
- Damian Mc Ginty (@damianmcginty) August 11, 2014
Terrible, Terrible news. @robinwilliams has died. So sad. Comedy has lost a great man.
- Mike Greenberg (@Espngreeny) August 11, 2014
- emma caulfield (@emmacaulfield) August 11, 2014
- edgarwright (@edgarwright) August 11, 2014
RIP @robinwilliams you will be missed. Thank you for making us all laugh for so long.
- Jack Osbourne (@JackOsbourne) August 11, 2014
- Andrea Mitchell (@mitchellreports) August 11, 2014
- Richard Roeper (@richardroeper) August 11, 2014
- Jane Espenson (@JaneEspenson) August 11, 2014
- Kathie Lee Gifford (@KathieLGifford) August 11, 2014
RIP. made the world laugh & never mean-spirited. pic.twitter.com/sA2tM0KBRV
- Carson Daly (@CarsonDaly) August 11, 2014
RIP mr Williams – beyond great talent -such a kind and lovely person
Damn man! I hate to hear this! Lisa’s fav movie was Hook and mine was Jumanji was my favorite movie… http://t.co/7ps9Gxqyeh
- Tionne T-Boz Watkins (@TheRealTBOZ) August 11, 2014
Devastating finding out about @robinwilliams today. He was an amazing talent and incredibly sweet. So sad.
- Kelly Clarkson (@kelly_clarkson) August 11, 2014
Stunned and saddened. #RIPRobinWilliams
- Ringo Starr (@ringostarrmusic) August 11, 2014
Robin was as sweet a man as he was funny. If you’re sad, please tell someone.
- Jimmy Kimmel (@jimmykimmel) August 11, 2014
Thank you to the beautifully original + brave artist that is #RobinWilliams. You taught us how to stand on the edge, fearless, + shine.
- Sarah Michelle (@RealSMG) August 12, 2014
His heart was as big as his genius. So sad. Rest in Peace Robin Williams.
- bob saget (@bobsaget) August 11, 2014
I wore Mork suspenders all through 4th grade. Robin Williams was one of my first comedy heroes. RIP.