Renee Zellweger's ‘Cinnamon Girl’ Starts Bidding War (Exclusive)

Two studios were in a bidding war to nab Renee Zellweger’s “Cinnamon Girl” TV pilot on Friday

Renee Zellweger’s “Cinnamon Girl” TV pilot has become the subject of an intense bidding war that was expected to reach a head on Friday.

Getty ImagesWarner Horizon Television, Universal Cable Productions and Fox 21 were the last three studios bidding for the project, a person with knowledge of the situation told TheWrap, with talks now down to UCP and Fox 21. There were six studios bidding at one point.

Also read: Fox 21, Lifetime Pay $6M For Renee Zellweger 'Cinnamon Girl' Pilot (Exclusive)

Lifetime placed a pilot order on the drama, which Zellweger co-created and co-wrote, in late July.

Lifetime reportedly considered producing it and owning it themselves. But they decided to find a studio to produce the project and to distribute it internationally, the person said. 

Also read: Renee Zellweger Sells 'Cinnamon Girl' Pilot to Lifetime

Zellweger co-created “Cinnamon Girl” with Anthony Tambakis (“Warrior”). The story combines Zellweger’s own journey from Texas to Hollywood and Tambakis’ interest in the late 1960’s music and movie scene around Laurel Canyon and New Hollywood.

Allie MacDonald, Alexis Knapp, Brooke Anne Smith, Jade Bartlett and Sebastian Piggott signed on to the project earlier this month. CAA is involved in the deal.