The site ranked the trailers that got the most views between April 1 and June 30
The most popular trailer on YouTube this spring was not for a movie or a TV show but a video game, “Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare,” YouTube said Wednesday. An early look at the game drew more than 20 million views between April 1 and June 30, and has added more views since then.
Everyone has a different formula for measuring trailers. Some track every copy of a trailer, including those ripped by fans. YouTube focuses on one trailer, uploaded by the media company responsible for its proliferation.
That explains why ZEFR says “50 Shades of Grey” generated more than 35 million views in its first week – more than any trailer on this list. YouTube has worked hard to convince movie studios, TV networks and video game publishers to debut their trailers on the site, so they track the official versions.
Trailers can provide insight into whether movies will succeed or not; hit movies “Godzilla,” “X-Men: Days of Future Past” and “Dawn of the Planet of the Apes” all boasted popular trailers. Yet the trailer counts for “Guardians of the Galaxy” are low, and that movie is about to set an August record.
Below are the top trailers:
1. Official Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare Reveal Trailer; Views: 20,944,564
2. X-Men: Days of Future Past Official Trailer; Views: 18,009,783
3. Who’s Next? Official Mortal Kombat X Announce Trailer; Views: 10,958,043
4. Orange Is The New Black Season 2 Official Trailer; Views: 8,507,775
5. Dawn of the Planet of the Apes Official Trailer; Views: 8,383,880
6. Official Extended Gotham Trailer; Views: 8,029,518
7. Disney’s Cinderella Official Teaser Trailer; Views: 7,510,082
8. The Interview Official Teaser Trailer; Views: 6,003,616
9. Teenage Mutant Nina Turtles Trailer; Views: 5,690,122
10. Hercules: Trailer; Views: 4,194,986